[LLVMdev] Odd code layout requirements for MCJIT

sathvik sathvikl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:51:47 PST 2014

In dynamic untyped languages like PHP the control flow is quite polymorphic
and the hot/cold regions can appear within the same tracelet. This breaks
the idea of having an icache which loads contiguous instructions into the
cache lines. This would be a great feature to have in MCJIT to be able to
tag a block and have it separated into different code sections based on the
hotness.

Like Lang mentioned all of this functionality can be applied into
RTDyldMemoryManager but the same functionality can be useful to other llvm
JIT implementations like pyston which suffer from the same issues that PHP
does.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Lang Hames <lhames at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Most of the work to make this work at the AOT object file level should
> also be necessary to
> > make this work with MCJIT, which can then be taught to allocate
> .text.cold somewhere else.
>
> MCJIT memory layout is delegated to the RTDyldMemoryManager which is
> supplied by the client, so if/when the AOT work is done this should  just
> work in MCJIT without any further changes.
>
> - Lang.
>
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure LLVM does not currently have support for this kind of
>> hot-cold BB separation, but I think it would be a welcome addition. I think
>> the best way to add such support would be to move cold code to a separate
>> object file section. For x86 this might look like:
>>
>> .text
>> foo:
>>   xor eax, eax
>>   jz Lcold_bb
>> Lreturn:
>>   ret
>>
>> .text.cold
>> Lcold_bb:
>>   .. EH
>>   jmp Lreturn
>>
>> This might require changing the way we emit relocations to local labels,
>> but it would be generally useful to others. GCC already does something like
>> this. Most of the work to make this work at the AOT object file level
>> should also be necessary to make this work with MCJIT, which can then be
>> taught to allocate .text.cold somewhere else.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> We've also discussed outlining regions of similar cold code at the LLVM
>> IR level. This will definitely work today without many backend changes. You
>> should be able to apply the preserve_mostcc calling convention and add a
>> .text.cold section annotation and that should be enough to start making
>> MCJIT memory allocation changes.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Brett Simmers <bsimmers at fb.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm part of a team working on adding an llvm codegen backend to HHVM
>>> (PHP JIT, http://hhvm.com) using MCJIT. We have a code layout problem
>>> and I'm looking for opinions on good ways to solve it.
>>>
>>> The short version is that the memory we emit code into is split into a
>>> few different areas, and we'd like a way to control which area each
>>> BasicBlock ends up in during codegen. I know this probably sounds pretty
>>> odd, so here's a much more detailed explanation:
>>>
>>> Our translation unit is a "tracelet" which is typically a single basic
>>> block of PHP code. We emit code one tracelet at a time as it's needed for
>>> execution, so the physical layout of the generated code looks like the
>>> execution path taken the first time the code is run (we're actually a
>>> little smarter than that now, but this description is good enough for the
>>> problem at hand).
>>>
>>> We're under pretty severe icache/iTLB pressure, so we do whatever we can
>>> to keep the hot path as compact as possible. One of the ways we do this is
> [...]
>>> Brett