[LLVMdev] Functions with unnamed parameters in LLVM IR

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 03:11:13 PDT 2014

On 15 August 2014 11:01, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 August 2014 10:53, Dan Liew <dan at su-root.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I did mean the LangRef, but probably not there, and not to that degree.
>>
>> For documentation I think being explicit is much better than being implicit.
>
> Sure, but the entire section on functions is 61 lines. Adding 20 to
> cover this bit of trivia is *way* out of balance, and I don't think it
> actually improves the usability of the documentation for most readers.

You're probably right there. I could cut it down a bit. I still think having

+The argument list is a comma seperated sequence of arguments where
each argument is of the following form
+
+Syntax::
+
+   <type> [parameter Attrs] [name]
+

in the Function section is useful and it also documents that name is optional.

>> I took a look at the "Identifiers" section [1]. There isn't any
>> mention of the basic-block case there.
>
> "Unnamed temporaries are numbered sequentially (using a per-function
> incrementing counter, starting with 0). Note that basic blocks are
> included in this numbering. For example, if the entry basic block is
> not given a label name, then it will get number 0."

Oops, you're right I missed that.