[LLVMdev] Asking about how to debug Clang and LLVM?

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 14 08:49:26 PDT 2014

On 4/14/14 6:53 AM, 蜡笔小新 wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I scanned the documents listed in the website of LLVM, however, I
> can't find information about how to debug the LLVM and Clang. As is
> known to all, the "-g" option of GCC can help us to debug a program
> step by step. In the configure file of LLVM, I can see the "-g -O2"
> option, but I have no idea about what should I do to set up the debug
> mode. So I changed all the options to "-g -O2" in order to trace the
> LLVM step by step. However, my effort didn't work.

To compile Clang and LLVM with debugging symbols, you need to add the
ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=0 option to the make command line; this will create
what is called a Debug build:

make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=0

All of the object files and tools will be placed in a Debug or
Debug+Asserts directory.

More documentation on this can be found in the LLVM Getting Started Guide:

http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#compiling-the-llvm-suite-source-code

Regards,

John Criswell