[LLVMdev] Does Mips resolve hazard in pre-ra-sched or post-ra-sched?

Liu Xin navy.xliu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 03:30:15 PDT 2013

Hi, Akira,

I found you maintain mips MipsSchedule.td. does it correct? in
MipsSchedule.td, every InstrItinData only uses one InstrStage. there's no
ByPass info out there.
are you sure this reflects the real R4xxx/R5xxx processors.

why IILoad uses funcition unit ALU?
InstrItinData<IILoad             , [InstrStage<3,  [ALU]>]>

for my previous question, I have new input after reading the code.
pre-RA-sched is derived from ScheduleDAGSNodes, but post-RA-sched and
mi-sched are both derived from ScheduleDAGInstrs.that means pre-RA-sched
schedules SDNodes. post-RA-sched schedules MIs.

from -debug-pass=Structure, we can see that the order is "mi-sched"==>
RegisterAllocation==>post-RA TD.

      Simple Register Coalescing
      Machine Instruction Scheduler
      Machine Block Frequency Analysis
      Greedy Register Allocator
      Virtual Register Rewriter
      Post RA top-down list latency scheduler
      Analyze Machine Code For Garbage Collection

for my testcase, I found -enable-misched is helpful for ARM, they reduce
stall numbers from 205 to 160. however, mips is adverse impact. the stall
number increases from 554 to  560. this doesn't make any sense.

thanks
--lx

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Liu Xin <navy.xliu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Akira,
>
> Thanks you for response.
>
> I understand Post-RA schedule make uses of scoreboardHazardRecognizer. But
> I found mips codes are good enough by default. basically, I can not easily
> eyeball any bubbles.
> I don't understand how they can do that without post-RA-sched.
> pre-ra-scheduler eg. (SelectionDAG/ScheduleDAGRRList.cpp) has little
> information and they can only schedule node in topology order. It assumes
> any SU is one cycle delay.  I don't think pre-ra-sched consider any
> pipeline details.
>
> thanks,
> --lx
>

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Akira Hatanaka <ahatanak at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Mips invokes the post-RA scheduler only when OptLevel > Aggressive, so
>> you will have to compile with -O3.
>>
>> You can also invoke the MI (pre-RA) scheduler with llc option
>> "-enable-misched". As you have pointed out, the post-isel scheduler is
>> mandatory, and therefore you don't have to give any command line options.
>>
>> Currently, mips has only one generic scheduling itinerary model in
>> MipsSchedule.td that is not tailored to any specific core, so you might
>> have to tweak it to have the scheduler generate efficient code for your
>> target.
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Liu Xin <navy.xliu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, LLVM,
>>>
>>> I found LLVM codegen has 3 passes for instruction scheduling:
>>>
>>> 1) pre-ra sched
>>> 2) post-ra sched