[LLVMdev] LLVM in place of Dalvik on Android

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Sep 2 20:01:48 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Tyler Hardin <tghardin1 at catamount.wcu.edu>wrote:

> Hi all, does anyone here know if Google has considered trading out the
> Dalvik VM for LLVM?
>
> What specifically I have in mind is that apps could be compiled to LLVM IR
> and distributed (after optimization) in that form, and then compiled to
> machine code on the Android machine itself. This would leave only ISA
> optimizations to the Android machine.
>
> It would seem, from my limited perspective, that statically compiling
> packages containing LLVM IR would be superior to JITing Dalvik code every
> time an application is ran.
>
> In addition to all code only having to be compiled once, when compiling
> statically, there is usually less rush and thus more time for
> computationally intensive optimizations.
>
> What is the list's opinion on this?

I don't really know any details about how much of anything works on
Android, but what I do know is that this isn't really the right mailing
list to discuss it.

I would try contacting the Android folks on their mailing lists. Not sure
you'll get any useful response there, but I seriously doubt anyone will
comment on Android's use of LLVM here, and I'm confident no one from Google
will. :: shrug ::