[LLVMdev] LLVM in place of Dalvik on Android

Tyler Hardin tghardin1 at catamount.wcu.edu
Mon Sep 2 19:23:23 PDT 2013

Hi all, does anyone here know if Google has considered trading out the
Dalvik VM for LLVM?

What specifically I have in mind is that apps could be compiled to LLVM IR
and distributed (after optimization) in that form, and then compiled to
machine code on the Android machine itself. This would leave only ISA
optimizations to the Android machine.

It would seem, from my limited perspective, that statically compiling
packages containing LLVM IR would be superior to JITing Dalvik code every
time an application is ran.

In addition to all code only having to be compiled once, when compiling
statically, there is usually less rush and thus more time for
computationally intensive optimizations.

What is the list's opinion on this?