[LLVMdev] Question on License/GitHub

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Fri Oct 11 08:10:07 PDT 2013

On 10/11/13 04:06 PM, Vechev Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have downloaded and made modification to LLVM version 2.7 -- we added new files and modified some existing files.
>
> We would like to upload the entire source to GitHub (both our new/modified files as well as the rest of the LLVM files).
>
> What would be the best way (legal w.r.t to LLVM license, which is NCSA) to publish the entire source ? Can we simply distribute the entire source under Apache ?
You should not ask legal questions on a public mailing list like this -
nobody here is your lawyer. It's not uncommon for these discussions to
end up being a waste of time and attracting lots of stupid comments from
people who have different views.

Having said this - I'll bite once and hopefully help
--------------
#1 Why on earth the Apache license? LLVM doesn't currently use it and
doing so would make anyone in the llvm community using those changes
basically impossible. (Some may, but that's their choice)

#2 You can't change the license on code you don't own the copyright. For
modified files - I guess you could mix license them (very ugly) and the
end result would be the most restrictive combination of terms. This is
really really a lawyer question - SFLC and others do give pro bono
advice to projects. I'd recommend to contact them

#3 For totally new files which you are the full copyright holder - You
can slap on whatever license you want - assuming it's compatible with
the surrounding sources/package. etc.
If I had any vote in this - I would hope that you use the same license
as the rest of the sources. If that doesn't work - maybe contact a legal
professional to see what other alternatives exist.

Contact me off list if you need SLFC or similar open source legal contacts