[LLVMdev] Language Reference bug?

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 09:40:47 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The language reference uses "::" many places where it seems it should be
> using ".. code-block:: llvm".  The result is that Sphinx does not colorize
> these samples.
>
> Should I fix this?  Or is it purposeful?

Could you give an example of what you are seeing? I don't really see any
examples of the issue you are mentioning. FWIW, things that are syntax
examples are "::" since they often contain meta-syntax e.g. `<result> =
fsub [fast-math flags]* <ty> <op1>, <op2>`.

> Also, anybody but me that has noticed that Sphinx does not always colorize
> things even if you put the proper ".. code-block:: llvm" in front?  If it
> is a known issue, I won't file a bug with the Sphinx people.

The Pygments lexer is sort of "brittle" and will fail to syntax highlight
things if they stray too far from the lexical syntax it expects (due to
being out of date or misspecified in the Pygments highlighter). You should
check that the upstream has the same issue <
https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/pygments-main/src/9246d7a47a42e7920c0ecee4d4946b982e9e2430/pygments/lexers/asm.py?at=default#cl-193>.
We may just need to update to the latest sphinx.

-- Sean Silva