[LLVMdev] Quad-Core ARMv7 Build Slave Seeks Noble Purpose

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Nov 21 00:17:59 PST 2013

On 20 November 2013 23:11, Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org> wrote:

> My XU is on build 141 and there hasn't been a single problem yet.  No
> reboots, no crashes, and as far as I have observed no core dropouts (after
> I did the cpu-freq trick you sent me).  Perhaps I have a stable board or
> perhaps it is because of its revision (rev. 0.3)?

That's good to know. I'm setting up mine like yours and we can join them
later.

 I will have to move it sometime because it is somewhat noise once it
> begins to build.

I know! I left mine on the garage...

Do you know if I can plug in any wireless adapter or if it has to be the
> Realtek adapter that Hardkernel sells?  I forgot to buy a wireless adapter
> and I dont' want to pay $30 shipping from Korea again.

Well, I bought the one from HardKernel and it worked perfectly. I'm
guessing that any should work well as long as they work well with Linux.
But if you can find a local adapter that has a similar firmware, that would
be a wiser choice.

Please notice that I sent an updated .RST edition of my Arch Linux builder
> article to LLVM-commits (for review) the other day.  So the link on
> lyngvig.org will be taken down once the reviewed document has been
> comitted, if ever.

It will, don't worry about that, we love documentation.

I was thinking that it is unoptimal to have two XU's acting as builders on
> the same projects, so what are you going to do with your XU?  I guess one
> of us should do the "make check" thingy and the other simply aim to build
> as fast as possible.  My system is already set up to build as fast as
> possible using ccache.  I think my system normally spits out a build in
> 10-20 minutes, due to ccache.

I'm already adding two chromebooks (one self-hosting and another for the
test-suite), so that should cover other bases.

I still don't trust the XU that much, so, like the Pandas, we should have
at least two on each build. If they remain stable for a month or so, we can
re-purpose them.

One plan is to put them both as benchmark bots. There is a movement to
create a benchmark run of the test-suite, and that might take a while on
ARM, so having two bots will allow us to get more commits tested properly.
When that is ready, I'll take over the fast build on a chromebook and we
can put our two XUs in load balance for the benchmarks.

Sounds like a plan?

cheers,
--renato