[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Hinton, Don Don.Hinton at pimco.com
Fri Nov 8 12:57:33 PST 2013

Is the plan to have autoconf and cmake check for the appropriate C++11 features and fail if the chosen compiler doesn't support them?  Or do we just have to wait for some obscure error during the build process some time later?

If autoconf and cmake do the feature checks - they could also tell the user which was the last safe pre-C++11 revision they should go back to.  Also, based on what I've read, it seems that even non-conforming compilers might still support a subset of C++11 features, so a scheduled rollout of new features could make it a little less painful for some users.

Btw, as long as I can build with either an old version of clang or a recent version of gcc (linux), I have no problems going to C++11 or beyond.

thanks...
don