[LLVMdev] Problems with 64-bit register operands of inline asm on ARM

Weiming Zhao weimingz at codeaurora.org
Wed Mar 13 11:20:24 PDT 2013

From: Jim Grosbach [mailto:grosbach at apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:57 AM
To: weimingz at codeaurora.org; Zhao
Cc: Renato Golin; Måns Rullgård; LLVM Dev
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] Problems with 64-bit register operands of inline asm
on ARM

On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:15 AM, Weiming Zhao <weimingz at codeaurora.org> wrote:

Hi Renato,

It seems to me that LLVM doesn’t parse the inline asm body. It just checks
the constraints, (ie. Input/output interface). During ASM writing, it then
binding those constraints to placeholders like %0, %1.

This is correct.

So it a constraint is a 64-integer type, it *probably* needs paired GPR.

This is not. Consider the Thumb2 encodings of LDRD, LDREXD, etc,, for
example. They allow arbitrary Rt and Rt2, not just a register pair. It's
only in ARM mode that the instructions are more constrained.

(Exactly. That’s why I say “probably needs” :D )

-Jim

Weiming

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by
The Linux Foundation