[LLVMdev] support for addressing units which are not 8 bits

Boris Boesler baembel at gmx.de
Thu Jun 20 06:14:51 PDT 2013

Hi!

 I want to write a LLVM back-end for a bit addressing target architecture.
http://llvm.org/docs/GetElementPtr.html#i-m-writing-a-backend-for-a-target-which-needs-custom-lowering-for-gep-how-do-i-do-this states quite clearly that some additional work must be done for this sort of architecture. Is this still true? Is there a project/branch to make it more flexible? Support for any memory addressing?

 I had a short look at SelectionDAGBuilder::visitGetElementPtr(const User &I) and either this method handles it properly already or customization with some target attributes should not be difficult.

 And what means "a lot of code in the backend" in the link above? Which other parts are involved?

Thanks,
Boris