[LLVMdev] RFC - Profile Guided Optimization in LLVM

Diego Novillo dnovillo at google.com
Mon Jun 17 06:54:33 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-15 14:18 , Evan Cheng wrote:
> Apple folks are also gearing up to push on the PGO front. We are
> primarily interested in using instrumentation, rather than sampling,
> to collect profile info. However, I suspect the way profile ended up
> being used in the various optimization and codegen passes would be
> largely similar.

Excellent!  We are initially interested in instrumentation, as well.
This is where we draw most of our performance with GCC. Sampling is
showing a lot of promise, however.  And it really is not much different
than instrumentation.  Most of what changes is the source of profile data.

> There is also some interests in pursuing profile directed
> specialization. But that can wait. I think it makes sense for us to
> get together and discuss our plans to make sure there won't be
> duplication of efforts.

Sure. My initial plan is fairly simple.  Triage the existing
instrumentation code and see what needs fixing.  I'm starting this in
the next week or so.  What are your plans?

Diego.