[LLVMdev] ubuntu on the mac

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 25 04:53:56 PDT 2013

On 25 Jul 2013, at 08:49, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-07-24 09:47, Tyler Hardin wrote:
>
>> Not much slower. VBox does an amazing job at getting near native
>> performance on modern machines (those with nested paging etc.). This is
>> definitely the best option if your computer has ~2g ram and 2+ cores.
>> Give the Ubuntu VM 2g and 1 (maybe 2) core/s and it should be fine.
>
> At work, it takes significantly longer to boot our Ruby on Rails application on a virtual machine than natively. I also noticed that disk access can be quite slow on a virtual machine compared to native.

It takes a bit less than 10 minutes for me to do a full build of LLVM+Clang in a FreeBSD VM with 2GB of RAM allocated on my MacBook Pro.  The I/O speed is slower than native, but it is still faster than building natively on the Core i5-based Ubuntu box that I tried recently (both machines have SSDs - if you're doing a lot of builds, mechanical disks will cripple your productivity).

Of course, the 24 core machine we have in a rack with 256GB of RAM is noticeably faster - it does a clean build in 3 minutes - but it's less convenient to carry around (and a lot louder!).

David