[LLVMdev] ubuntu on the mac

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:18:58 PDT 2013

I've used both Ubuntu natively and Arch on a VirtualBox VM on a 2011 MBA.
Unless you need native-speed GPU acceleration, I would recommend the
VirtualBox route.  You have to jump through a few hoops to get Ubuntu
installed natively (install rEFIt, partition the drive), and I've read
Ubuntu still has some issues with the 2013 MBAs [1].  Arch (and Ubuntu) in
a VirtualBox VM has worked mostly flawlessly for me and are very easy to
set up.  Battery life takes a hit, but its not outrageous.  The biggest
problem I've had is managing disk space on the puny 128GB SSD.

[1]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=apple_mba2013_ubuntu&num=1

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM, reed kotler <rkotler at mips.com> wrote:

> I have a new 11" mac air with lots of disk and ram.
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure it for llvm development
> on ubuntu.
>
> Bootcamp or Virtual Box (or other Virtualization).
> Bootcamp seems like it would be a nuisance.
>
> This is just not my main development machine but it's very portable. :)

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski