[LLVMdev] ExecutionEngine always comes back NULL

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Wed Jan 9 15:10:58 PST 2013

On Jan 8, 2013, at 23:45 , Manuele Conti <manuele.conti at sirius-es.it> wrote:

> But can you call this method EngineBuilder::setErrorStr to get creation error?

Oh! Hmm. I immediately dismissed this as a possibility because of the name. It's very conventional for there to be set/get methods, and when I didn't find a getErrorStr() method, I figured that whole mechanism was useless.

Error strings really go against one of the design principles of LLVM, I thought: to produce machine-useable diagnostics.

Sure enough, though, that produces the error string "Interpreter has not been linked in.", which would've required me to go to the list or IRC channel again to find out what the hell that meant, after an hour of linking in more libraries to try to find the missing one. AND I probably would've assumed it was a dylib, since the linker didn't catch the error, and there are hardly any dylibs around. Which probably would've led to me asking the wrong question, and a lot of rabbit holes before coming to the right answer.

--
Rick