[LLVMdev] mips16 hard float puzzle

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Tue Jan 8 14:20:29 PST 2013

On 01/08/2013 01:47 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM, reed kotler <rkotler at mips.com> wrote:

>>> Take a look at CCValAssign etc. in MipsTargetLowering::LowerCall.
>>> (The DAG node for the callee doesn't have the necessary information in
>>> the general case, even though it might appear to work in simple
>>> cases.)
>>>
>>> -Eli
>> I'm not sure if I understood you.
>>
>> For Mips hard float, we also have the soft float option in llc.
>>
>> Right now we pass:
>> -mips16-hard-float -soft-float
>>
>> To llc.
>>
>> So the call is going to get changed to use integer types but I need to be
>> able to find what is was before that change takes place.
> If you need to be able to put values into floating-point registers,
> your architecture is not soft-float.  If the call expects the operand
> in a floating-point register, the call analysis code needs to know
> that we're dealing with a floating point value, and the code that
> generates the call needs to correctly put it in that register; whether
> there is a Mips16 instruction to perform that operation is irrelevant.
>   If the CCValAssign thinks that a floating-point argument is actually
> an integer, you can't recover at that point.  (It's possible that the
> call analysis code needs to be enhanced to make this work.)
>
> -Eli
Mips16 is not an architecture; it's a processor mode.

The real architecture is Mips32 (or Mips64 though I don't know that
anyone has implemented mips16 mode in mips64 but it's allowed for our
architectural licenses to do that).

When the program is running in mips16 mode all the time, then the
processor can be thought
to be in soft float. That flavor of llvm mips16 works now and passes
almost 100% of test-suite.

What can get messy is when you want to have mips32 and mips16 mode code
in the same executable. If there is no floating point in the call
signature, mips32 and mips16 functions can call each other with no problems.

I'm starting to implement the various interoperable modes now.

There is an historical way that all of this has been done in gcc and for
this base port, management wants it done the same way. The historical
definition of hard-float for mips16 is a hybrid based on gcc soft float.

The first step is to allow mips16 to use a library of soft float library
routines that are implemented in mips32 mode using mips32 floating point
hardware instructions. This mostly will work if you just change the
names of the normal libc soft float library routines to be the hard
float counterparts.  These hardware floating point versions of soft
float helper functions have the same signature as their soft float
counterparts. The place where it does not work is with libm because the
libm routines are mips32 functions and written without any knowledge of
this and expect it's arguments to be in floating point registers if the
mips 32 abi requires that. Ditto for return values.

There are two paths in this first stage; one for pic and one for non
pic. Non pic requires some other functionality that I have to add to
llvm which we already have discussed; that is the ability to compile
functions in mips32 and mips16 mode in the same module.

So I am solving the pic case now.

I need to know the original (pre-lowered) return type and type of
argument 1 and argument 2
in order to know which helper functions (if any) to call during the
lowering.

I will look into extending llvm to make this information available as
you suggested.

Reed