[LLVMdev] mips16 hard float puzzle

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:47:00 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM, reed kotler <rkotler at mips.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 07:45 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:

>>> So just read the DAG in the beginning of MIPS-specific call lowering
>>> before
>>> it gets modified?
>>
>> Take a look at CCValAssign etc. in MipsTargetLowering::LowerCall.
>> (The DAG node for the callee doesn't have the necessary information in
>> the general case, even though it might appear to work in simple
>> cases.)
>>
>> -Eli
>
> I'm not sure if I understood you.
>
> For Mips hard float, we also have the soft float option in llc.
>
> Right now we pass:
> -mips16-hard-float -soft-float
>
> To llc.
>
> So the call is going to get changed to use integer types but I need to be
> able to find what is was before that change takes place.

If you need to be able to put values into floating-point registers,
your architecture is not soft-float.  If the call expects the operand
in a floating-point register, the call analysis code needs to know
that we're dealing with a floating point value, and the code that
generates the call needs to correctly put it in that register; whether
there is a Mips16 instruction to perform that operation is irrelevant.
 If the CCValAssign thinks that a floating-point argument is actually
an integer, you can't recover at that point.  (It's possible that the
call analysis code needs to be enhanced to make this work.)

-Eli