[LLVMdev] backend documentation

matic at nimp.co.uk matic at nimp.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 14:04:07 PST 2013

 Hi,

> I wonder if there would be any interest in an annual (or
some
> reasonable interval) "workshop" sort of thing that teaches
backend
> development. That may be a better learning medium for this
material
> than a book.
>
> -- Sean Silva

 --> I would join right
away! I am making a backend for CortexM0 to learn this black art. Even
though the ARM backend is here to show me the way, this is still quite
hard to get things right in a reasonable time. For example loading an
immediate value from a constant pool or implementing push/pop/pop_ret
were not an easy ride...

A workshop would be really useful to get
people going beyond the point of emitting xor,and, add instructions. In
my opinion there are enough resources online to start a backend and emit
few instructions but no guide to help you till you get something fully
functional, even for an architecture as standard as CortexM0.

Regards,

Sebastien