[LLVMdev] backend documentation

David Tweed david.tweed at arm.com
Mon Feb 25 03:12:46 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Reed Kotler <rkotler at mips.com> wrote:
> Most people learn LLVM by trying to do something with it and not just
> reading about it.

| I wonder if there would be any interest in an annual (or some
| reasonable interval) "workshop" sort of thing that teaches backend
| development. That may be a better learning medium for this material
| than a book.

There's the obvious factor that, especially if one just occasionally ends up
diving in to the backend trying to fix a bug, a "just about understandable"
online reference may give better results than there being a "really well
structured" periodic workshop. That's why I think it'd be great if, whenever
anyone were to do a talk about LLVM, they could throw the slides up (without
further polishing) somewhere accessible. True they may be incomprehensible
without the context, but there's a chance they might be and as an
infinitesimal-effort thing to do...

Cheers,
Dave