[LLVMdev] Parallel Loop Metadata

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Fri Feb 15 08:59:59 PST 2013

Hi,

On 02/15/2013 06:37 PM, Redmond, Paul wrote:
> Is it fair to say that we require loops to be in canonical form with a
> single backedge to which we attach llvm.loop.parallel? Or is it the
> frontend's responsibility to attach the metadata to each backedge?

I have assumed so far only a single backedge.

I think we have to annotate all the backedges in Clang where the
parallel pragmas etc. are handled, and ensure the loop canonicalizer
and similar passes then retain the metadata in the latches. Otherwise
it reduces the applicability too much.

> How does pocl deal with this?

It doesn't have to as it generates "perfect" parallel for-loops
for the work-item loops where this metadata is used.

--
Pekka