[LLVMdev] COFF.h and windows.h conflict

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Aug 28 10:48:32 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> writes:
>
> > IMO the fact that it uses the standard names from the COFF
> > documentation is a feature, not a bug.
>
> *defining* (not *using*) symbols already defined on a platform header is
> definitely a bug.

We have to provide definitions so that we can produce COFF on platforms
that do not have winnt.h.  Ours are nicely namespaced under ::llvm::, but
winnt's are global macros, which is crummy.

That said, I don't actually feel strongly about this.  It would be nice if
Support/ELF.h, COFF.h, and MachO.h all provided the enums named in their
respective specifications, but if you send a patch to remove the IMAGE_
prefix, it's probably for the best.