[LLVMdev] A new mechanism to compiler kernel modules using llvm: Defer type evaluation in clang?

Jovi Zhang bookjovi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 23:27:17 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Karen Shaeffer
<shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 08:14:57PM +0800, Jovi Zhang wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
>> <devlists at shadowlab.org> wrote:
>> > Just out of curiosity, what would be the main benefit of this approach vs DKMS which is already widely used ?
>> >
>> Thanks Dupas.
>>
>> I checked DKMS you mentioned, basically DKMS is just a ko and its
>> sources management tool.
>>
>> It's not easy to deploy ko source into target machine, and it's more
>> harder to build ko in target machine,
>> this is a very common case, especially in embedded Linux, you really
>> cannot put source into target device,
>> for example, you didn't see any kernel module source in android phone, right?
>>
>> What I really want to see is kernel module source don't need to to
>> change when kernel changes, whatever kernel
>> upgrade or minor structure change, DKMS cannot meet this.
>
> Hello,
> Based on my many years of lurking on linux kernel development lists, IMHO,
> that is never going to happen. You need the full support of the linux kernel
> development community to succeed with your goal. You need to be talking to
> the linux kernel development community. You are on the wrong list.

Thanks karen.
Main implementation part is engaging with LLVM, not the kernel, that's
why I send it to here firstly.
I'm also on the LKML many years, and I know how they will say:
"Just upstream your kernel module"

the point is "upstream my kernel module" doesn't fix the problem I
want to solve:
kernel module binary compatibility issue.

(Possibility I will involve LKML in some day as you suggest, thanks:) )