[LLVMdev] A new mechanism to compiler kernel modules using llvm: Defer type evaluation in clang?

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Mon Apr 29 13:53:02 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 08:14:57PM +0800, Jovi Zhang wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
> <devlists at shadowlab.org> wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, what would be the main benefit of this approach vs DKMS which is already widely used ?
> >
> Thanks Dupas.
>
> I checked DKMS you mentioned, basically DKMS is just a ko and its
> sources management tool.
>
> It's not easy to deploy ko source into target machine, and it's more
> harder to build ko in target machine,
> this is a very common case, especially in embedded Linux, you really
> cannot put source into target device,
> for example, you didn't see any kernel module source in android phone, right?
>
> What I really want to see is kernel module source don't need to to
> change when kernel changes, whatever kernel
> upgrade or minor structure change, DKMS cannot meet this.

Hello,
Based on my many years of lurking on linux kernel development lists, IMHO,
that is never going to happen. You need the full support of the linux kernel
development community to succeed with your goal. You need to be talking to
the linux kernel development community. You are on the wrong list.

Folks who are truly linux kernel experts have no problem with embedded development
environments. In my experience, linux server environments are orders of magnitude
more complex than embedded environments. True linux kernel experts don't even use
debuggers.

Of course I wish you well with your efforts. But you need to fully grasp the ethos
of the linux kernel development community, before you can succeed at such a goal.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer