[LLVMdev] GSoC project questions.

Alex L arphaman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:43:32 PDT 2013

> If you are going to work on improvements in this area, then it would
> help to add them to the proposal (maybe that will move other, not so
> important, features out of scope).

That would be a good idea indeed.

> The EQUIVALENCE keyword is deprecated, still I don't know if it is still
> widely used in F77 code. I think one of the main resaons it was deprecated
> is that it voids all type checking

Thanks, I did miss this one.

FWIW, this is still widely used in F77 code (as are common blocks). This
> is, essentially, how you get 'union' in Fortran. I think it is not used
> much in modern Fortran, however. I recommend that we should at least think
> about how to support these various things, but only actually do it up front
> if it is in BLAS.

I just did a search through BLAS sources and EQUIVALENCE isn't used there.
I might consider getting rid of it for the proposal. The COMMON blocks
aren't used in BLAS too.

We should double-check with Chris Lattner about license compatibility, but
> regarding basic Fortran I/O, we can probably take some base code from
> libf2c. That should give us the correct Fortran 77 I/O semantics without
> too much pain (http://www.netlib.org/f2c/).
> http://www.netlib.org/f2c/src/notice -- it seems BSD-like. I'm suggesting
> this because my feeling is that most of the work in I/O is really in the
> runtime, not in the semantic-analysis/codegen pieces.

That's interesting, thanks for the link. Yes, IO would involve a lot of
runtime work, and I guess that it would probably be a good idea to use
another library for that, at least in the beginning. The license would
allow for that it seems. I think I should definitely mention that the usage
of this library is a possibility in my proposal.