[LLVMdev] Redundant Add Operation in Code Generation?

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Oct 19 14:41:24 PDT 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Ryan Taylor <ryta1203 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That solves the issue but it seems odd to me that instcombine doesn't take care of it?

LSR is part of the backend. It's lowering the IR for a specific target. It seems to think those redundant operations are good for reducing register pressure, but doesn't actually have much knowledge about register pressure. At this point, we won't do any more IR level "cleanup" since that tends to undo lowering. The Machine IR passes will do some careful cleanup.

-Andy