[LLVMdev] Poll: Do you prefer Git or SVN for LLVM development?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Sat Nov 17 14:48:42 PST 2012

> I'd imagine the most active contributors do not find themselves
> referencing this page too often, but as a newcomer, I feel it could
> use some work.

This has been in the back of my mind for a while, and I think it is
probably true.
I think that it would be more useful if you did a poll specifically
aimed at new contributors (simple rough criterion: new contributor ===
doesn't have commit access), since as you pointed out, they are the
audience of these documents.

Also, make sure that cfe-dev gets included in the vote. The current
thread is only on llvmdev.

> Git is second class, CMake gets nothing but a passing
> reference, and Ninja is not even mentioned.  Depending on the results
> of this poll, I'd be interested in rewriting it such that Git is the
> preferred way

Better idea: something like:

-----------
There are two major orthogonal decisions involved with getting started
with LLVM development:

1. You have to be able to get and sync the source code, which can be
done with either SVN <link> or Git <link>.
2. You have to build the code, which can be done with configure/make
<link> or CMake <link>.

And then we have a 4 pages: developing with SVN, developing with git,
building with configure/make, and building with CMake. This is no more
difficult than what you suggest, and it lets people choose whatever
they feel most comfortable with.

-- Sean Silva