[LLVMdev] Poll: Do you prefer Git or SVN for LLVM development?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 09:11:19 PST 2012

For starters, I hope the results of this poll can help guide how the
GettingStarted page is written.

http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html

I'd imagine the most active contributors do not find themselves
referencing this page too often, but as a newcomer, I feel it could
use some work.  Git is second class, CMake gets nothing but a passing
reference, and Ninja is not even mentioned.  Depending on the results
of this poll, I'd be interested in rewriting it such that Git is the
preferred way to get LLVM, CMake is how you configure it, and that you
can tell CMake to generate any of several build systems including GNU
Make, Ninja or XCode.

Furthermore, should we find that few people use SVN and someone wants
to integrate with a package manager, he or she should feel little
obligation to support two version control systems.  Likewise, if a
code-owner wants to introduce a code review tool, he or she should not
have to reduce its functionality to the intersection of the git and
subversion feature sets.

Thanks,
Greg