[LLVMdev] Minor correction to the Visual Studio documentation

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Sun May 27 02:17:02 PDT 2012

2012/5/24 Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at lyngvig.org>:
> I know that the documentation says that I am to install GnuWin32 tools, but
> I strongly oppose that idea.  We Windows people have our own tools and
> practices and I think the LLVM developers should open up to a more
> multi-platform approach than the current (Unix then, perhaps maybe, Windows)
> approach.  CMake works brilliantly, though, so there are no issues in
> building neither the win32 or win64 versions of LLVM.
>
> As far as I can tell, I don't need the GnuWin32 tools at all.  I can
> succesfully build and link a tiny "hello world" sample program without
> problems.  I do have many Windows ports of Unix tools in my standard path,
> though, and perhaps that is the reason that the build succeds without
> GnuWin32.

Gnuwin32 is required, for now, when you run tests (check, check-all,
clang-test).
Then, you would not need to update your %PATH% to specify
LLVM_LIT_TOOLS_DIR to CMake.

Let me know if you know other (llvm|clang)-tests-compatible tools
other than gnuwin32 (and msys).

FYI, some clang/llvm tests are marked as "REQUIRES: shell". They rely
on sh behavior and they are skipped if bash.exe is not found in your
%PATH%.