[LLVMdev] Windows question: Dozens of linker warnings and errors

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Sat May 26 14:59:49 PDT 2012

"""
Increasing support for Windows across LLVM is a welcome addition. My
main area on LLVM currently is actually binary tools, and adding
object file support to llvm-ar is one of the items on my list. You may
also be interested in the lld linker project (lld.llvm.org).
"""

I am looking at the llvm-ar and Archive.cpp source code right now.  It
seems it to only supports ELF archives (and COFF, etc. object files) at the
time?  I guess we'll have to refactor so as to introduce a polymorphic
class hierarchy.  Or, how do you do it in LLVM?  Not that I am about to
code anything; I won't touch anything until we have clearly decided what I
should and should not do and until you give me a "go!".  I don't even know
if you really want me to look at implementing COFF archive support or not.
 After all, it is on your to-do list, not mine :-)  My plan now is to spend
some days studying the llvm-ar and lib/Object files and get to know them
well enough that I know what should and should not be done.

Also, I suppose you already have this:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/gg463125 (Microsoft
PE Common Object File Format Specification v8.0)

If not, you're going to need it sooner or later.

Also, I have to warn that my C++ is a bit rusty.  I have coded in C++ since
1990, but I have hardly used it the past 10 years so there is some catching
up to do.  For instance, I just ran into the "explicit" keyword and had to
do a Google search to find out what that meant.  Also, I'm only vaguely
familiar with the STL.  I'm not unfamiliar with OOP, etc., it is just that
I have been using Python and C# for the past decade.

Cheers,
Mikael