[LLVMdev] Develop on trunk.

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Tue Jun 26 09:43:40 PDT 2012

<dag at cray.com> writes:

>> - API instability is the exact same problem as code review latency --
>> the API is no more stable, you're just deferring work.
>
> Yes, none of these things go away.  That's not the point.  The point is
> that with a separate branch one can *schedule* them.  Code review on
> llvm-commits is painful not because of the actual reviews but because it
> takes so dang long to get one.  We can't wait a week or more to be able
> to use our own code.

Actually, git would solve a lot of these problems.  With git we could
share code within our organization while it is being reviewed upstream.

I am working very hard to get git adopted here but it will take some
time.  Still, I think that is an important step to allow 3rd parties to
develop on trunk and still maintain the development speed they require.
It would be easier if LLVM also adopted git but I don't think that's
going to happen, unfortunately.

                            -Dave