[LLVMdev] Develop on trunk.

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Jun 15 15:08:44 PDT 2012

Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

> - Commit velocity may go up, but testing, correctness, and quality of
> those commits will go down. You also have the added burden of having
> to commit merges.

None of those things need go down.  We have our own testing regime.

> - Code review latency doesn't go away, it gets deferred until the time
> at which you want to re-integrate your changes.

> - API instability is the exact same problem as code review latency --
> the API is no more stable, you're just deferring work.

Yes, none of these things go away.  That's not the point.  The point is
that with a separate branch one can *schedule* them.  Code review on
llvm-commits is painful not because of the actual reviews but because it
takes so dang long to get one.  We can't wait a week or more to be able
to use our own code.

> - Rough / WIP code *should* be seen by others, in order to get early
> feedback, avoid bad paths of implementation etc. We should
> indoctrinate ourselves as developers with a delightful glee in showing
> code before it's 100% ready for prime time.

I'd LOVE to do this.  It doesn't happen early, no matter when I send it.
It always happens 2-3 weeks later.

                                 -Dave