[LLVMdev] is configure+make dead yet?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jun 21 16:08:14 PDT 2012

Albert Graef <Dr.Graef at t-online.de> writes:

> On 06/21/2012 04:22 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> About the "many features" that cmake lacks, can you provide a list,
>> please?
>
> Generally it works fairly well, but here are some differences to the
> autoconf-based build I noticed:
>
> - No 'make uninstall'. That is a real deal breaker if you want to
> quickly try a new LLVM version. I know that cmake doesn't provide this
> out of the box, but then it should be added as a custom target.

You can work with LLVM without installing, or install it on a specific
directory that you can delete afterwards. That's much better than
overwriting/removing the previous version.

> - No libLLVM-<version>.so. I get this with the autoconf-based build if
> shared libraries are enabled, but not with the cmake build.

This is very easy to implement.

> - libclang ends up as liblibclang.so (building clang along with LLVM).
> Surely that's not intended?

There was some discussion about this on the past, but I can't recall all
the details. In any case, it is something easy enough to change.