[LLVMdev] Strong PHI elimination asserts in RegisterCoalescer.C:1388

Andrew Clinton andrew at sidefx.com
Wed Jun 20 15:47:10 PDT 2012

I've started using the strong PHI elimination pass, and it seems to work
beautifully (producing much better placement of copy instructions) -
though I'm seeing that it triggers an assert in debug+assert builds.
The assertion is on line 1388 of RegisterCoalescer.C.  Attached is the
-debug output from the machine optimization part of the optimizer, for
the simplest test case I could create that triggers this behavior.

Any idea what might be going wrong?  Are there known issues with strong
PHI elimination?

Andrew