[LLVMdev] llvm 32bit with 64bit output?

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 03:18:53 PST 2012

2012/12/26 Flexicat01 <nekroze.lives at gmail.com>:
> I did try the cygwin mingw-x86_64 but i couldn't get llvm to compile, but i
> did try and compile clang and compiler_rt as well, may have to try again
> soon. On windows i'm not interesting in i686 or any 32 bit compiling just 64
> bit alone but i don't need a jit anyways for my language.

Ok. The host doesn't matter, either i686 or x86-64, as far as the
target triple is "x86_64-{mingw32|win32}".

As I said, PE+(x64)-aware linker and corresponding runtime libraries
(x86_64-w64-mingw32's libgcc or msvc runtime) would be required to
you.

It would be great if you could use compiler-rt for your target. AFAIK,
no one would try to use compiler-rt on x64.
(compiler-rt is libgcc's alternative in this case. *-mingw32 is expected)

> If i use the cygwin environment to build llvm do i have to use cmake or can
> i use the standard configure scripts and make off of that. I know that cmake
> can output msys and mingw makefiles but i thought they where for msys shells
> and mingw being used from the windows command prompt, whereas cygwin being a
> more or less complete posix environment emulation im not sure if it needs
> cmake or which make system to output.

On cygwin, configure is expected to work. I heard cmake would work as
well, though, I have not used cmake on cygwin.

Without cygwin, you may take cmake for mingw, not only msys. Ninja
build is better (than msys gnu make or mingw32-make) if you will play
llvm with cmake.

...Takumi