[LLVMdev] Heads up -- take two for renaming VMCore -> IR

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 19:03:56 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> Right, I just meant which specific header files should move.  Pass manager
> doesn't seem like it should, for example.

lib/VMCore/PassManager.cpp indicates to me that include/llvm/PassManager.h
should become include/llvm/IR/PassManager.h

It feels like what you're really interested in is splitting out
non-IR-specific things (like passes) into a separate library. I agree that
this would be goodness, but it seems orthogonal to structuring the *files*
in the IR library correctly.

I'd like to solve the file structure given the existing library layering
first as a simple and entirely mechanical change.

I'm then happy to look into how to make a better layering of libraries (and
generally make the libraries more fine grained). But that is *not*
mechanical, and I don't want to block fixing the naming bits while waiting
to figure out the design issue of how best to restructure these libraries.