[LLVMdev] how to get path profile information ?

erkan diken erkandiken at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 04:51:58 PDT 2012

Hi,

Currently, I am working with version 3.0. I think it would be useful to
make it work with new versions.

What i want to do is to apply edge and path profiling as it is explained in
this report: http://llvm.org/pubs/2010-12-Preuss-PathProfiling.html

Regarding the

1) naive edge profiling: (with -insert-edge-profiling)

opt -insert-edge-profiling -o matmul.ep.bc matmul.bc
lli -load ../lvm_build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so matmul.ep.bc
llvm-prof -annotated-llvm matmul.ep.bc

It seems ok. If you check output, you will see edge annotations are
inserted in llvm-ir code. I do not think there is a formatted output for
edge profiling ? (even though it says that there is a pass called
-dot-edge-numbers (suppose to provide dot graph with edge annotations) in
the document, the pass is not in current llvm dist. )

Or alternatively, one can run profile.pl script:
profile.pl-annotated-llvm matmul.bc

2) optimal edge profiling

opt -insert-optimal-edge-profiling -o matmul.oep.bc matmul.bc
lli -load ../lvm_build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so matmul.oep.bc
llvm-prof -annotated-llvm matmul.oep.bc

or alternatively profile.pl -annotated-llvm matmul.bc, but before running
script, i modified the pass as

my $ProfilePass = "-insert-optimal-edge-profiling";

both seems working well.

3) Path profiling:

If i try to apply the command as i applied for edge profiling

opt -insert-path-profiling -o matmul.pp.bc matmul.bc
lli -load ../llvm_build/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so matmul.pp.bc
(produces llvmprof.out successfully)
llvm-prof matmul.pp.bc
llvm-prof: Unknown packet type #5!

I searched that line in the code, and found out that it is in
llvm/lib/Analysis/ProfileInfoLoader.cpp

default:
      errs() << ToolName << ": Unknown packet type #" << PacketType <<
"!\n";
      exit(1);

This is where i stuck!

Furthermore, opt has some passes like:

-path-profile-loader                      - Load path profile information
from file
-path-profile-verifier                     - Compare the path profile
derived edge profile against the edge profile.

I have tried to use them, but, indeed, I am not sure how to use them.

I hope i made it clear enough my problem, your comments are very welcome.

Thanks.
Erkan.

--
Best Regards,