[LLVMdev] Runtime optimization using llvm

Dmitry N. Mikushin maemarcus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:42:36 PDT 2011

Hi Himanshu,

Passes in LLVM are performed on LLVM intermediate representation (IR)
level. Thus, your original C program should be first translated to IR
using one of available frontends. Next, if you work with LLVM at code
level, module class has method dump(), that could print its current
content:

// Wrap memory buffer around string containing *input* module source.
	MemoryBuffer* buffer2 = MemoryBuffer::getMemBuffer(out);
	auto_ptr<Module> m2;
// Load Module m2 from source
	m2.reset(ParseIR(buffer2, diag, context));
	{
// Setup pass manager containing instcombine pass
		PassManager manager;
		manager.add(createInstructionCombiningPass());
// Apply pass manager to module m2
		manager.run(*m2.get());
	}

// Dump *new* content of module m2 (after performing passes).
	m2.get()->dump();

Or, if you work from the outside, using "opt" tool, then it has an
equivalent option -print-module

Hope it helps,
- D.