[LLVMdev] Runtime optimization using llvm

Himanshu Shekhar imhimanshu91 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:26:39 PDT 2011

Hello,

I am getting to know how the Runtime Optimization feature of LLVM works and
how I can use it. I want to know how I could print the results of any
analysis and transformation pass. Say, I have a program written in c and I
ran the edge-profiling pass onto it. Now I want to see the result. How
could I do it?

Also if I happen to change one of the passes inside folder
/llvm/lib/Transforms/Instrumentation (say EdgeProfiling.cpp), then what all
do I have to do to see the changes done in the pass. Please help me with
the required steps.

And is there any tool available which I use to see the control flow(step by
step execution of the code) when I execute say the -insert-edge-profiling
pass on my bitecode. If there is one, it would help me a lot to understand
how the pass works and also in writing a new pass for my purpose.

Thanks

Himanshu