[LLVMdev] Question regarding basic-block placement optimization

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Wed Oct 19 07:56:21 PDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 5:50 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> Ok, wow that wasn't hard at all.

Awesome ;-)

> This is still *very* much a rough draft, but it's probably better to review that the previous patch. One big caveat, I know I have an iteration bug in here somewhere that is inf-looping. Just ran out of steam debugging it, will pick it back up again later today to shake it out.

Maybe splicing a block into it current position will create a loop?

Some random notes:

- Please add a description of the algorithm.
- Please add a comment to the BlockChain class.
- Use a separate anonymous namespace per class, and don't indent for the namespace.

+BlockChain *BlockPlacement2::CreateChain(MachineBasicBlock *BB) {
+  Chains.push_back(BlockChain(BlockToChain, BB));
+  BlockToChain[BB] = &Chains.back();
+  assert(ActiveChains.insert(&Chains.back()));
+  return &Chains.back();
+}

Whoa, you are storing pointers into a growing vector. You should at least assert(Chains.size() != Chains.capacity()) before pushing.

+      RequiredChain->BBEnd = ++MachineFunction::iterator(From);

Does C++ allow this these days? I would prefer llvm::next(MachineFunction::iterator(From))

Note that MachineFunction::iterator decays into an MBB pointer, so you can say FI->canFallThrough() and AnalyzeBranch(*FI...)

+      WeightedEdge WE = { BaseFrequency * MBPI->getEdgeProbability(From, To),

Did we add API for this computation? We intended to add a function that computes this and saturates on overflow etc.

> Still, for the test cases that don't tickle the iteration bug, it generates beautiful, well laid out code. =]

I am sure others have strong opinions about the algorithm ;-)

I would like to see a more explicit handling of loop layout. There is a tradeoff between entering the loop with a branch, and having the exit block last. It is not clear to me that this algorithm handles that properly.

Be careful about placing too much trust in the behavior of branch probabilities. They go out of whack when they saturate.

Second, you should handle blocks that can never fall through (indirect branches from jump tables). There is no need to try to place their successors.

/jakob