[LLVMdev] Vector-select status update

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:43:10 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 02:56:04PM +0300, Rotem, Nadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As of recently, the LLVM code-generator started supporting vector-select instructions (select instructions where the predicate operand is a vector of booleans).
>
> This support includes efficient sequences for targets which have dedicated blend instructions (such as SSE4 and AVX), a slower implementation using
> vector AND/OR/XOR instructions for unoptimized targets, and scalarization for targets which do not support vectors.
>
> For example:  https://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/test/CodeGen/X86/avx-blend.ll?revision=139992
>
> However, enabling vector-select code generation requires running LLVM with a special flag (-promote-elements), which affects the way
> the LLVM Type-Legalizer legalizes vectors.
>
> This flag is not turned on by default because there are still a few open issues with non-x86 targets (mainly ARM).
>
> If you are interested in having vector-select support then there are a few things that you can do to help:
> 1. Have a look at pr10902 and try to resolve the last few open issues.
> 2. Compile your application using the -promote-elements flag and report any performance regressions (and performance gains!).
>

> - Nadav

Nadav,
   Alternatively, dragonegg can be used with -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns and either -O2 -ftree-vectorize or
-O3 (which defaults on -ftree-vectorize) to autovectorize using the FSF gcc 4.5 or 4.6 front-end. At r141601, the
Polyhedron 2005 benchmarks now compile without regressions using the optimization flags...

 -msse4 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -O3 -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns

Hopefully after the llvm 3.0 branch occurs, we can default on -fplugin-arg-dragonegg-enable-gcc-optzns in
dragonegg svn in order to get vector-select tested on as wide a swath of code as possible.
           Jack