[LLVMdev] LLVM and Visual Studio 2003

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed May 18 12:03:46 PDT 2011

Philip Ritchey <pritchey at microsemi-wl.com> writes:

> I have Visual Studio 2008 which builds LLVM just fine.  The problem is
> that I need to build it using Visual Studio 2003.  I am trying to
> figure out what it is about LLVM that makes VS2k3 inadequate and then
> determine if those parts can be removed so that VS2k3 can build a
> subset of LLVM, and hopefully the subset of LLVM that I need (which is
> the code generator).

AFAIR VS 2003 has several problems with C++ compliance that requires
workarounds all across the LLVM source code base. I'm not saying that
lots of changes are required, but that the problem is with C++
constructs not specific of a LLVM area.

Long time ago LLVM compiled with VS 2003 because a few people cared
about "fixing" the code after it was committed by the other
developers. Sometimes they commented on the general problems VS 2003
has. Search the mailing list for messages written by Jeff Cohen
mentioning "2003", and for commits authored by him.