[LLVMdev] Status of llvm-ld

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Mar 30 22:42:03 PDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 11:08 AM, David Sehr wrote:

> All,
>
> As a part of the PNaCl project we're doing some investigations into how we do linking, and have started looking at llvm-ld.  Several of us have heard that this tool is no longer supported.  Could someone please clarify?

Hi David,

It is supported and in use by many projects.  Most people who care about LTO have switched to native linker plugins: either liblto (on the mac) or the gold plugin.  That said, llvm-link and llvm-ld continue to work as they always have.  llvm-ld's major limitation is that it doesn't implement all the linker flags that various system ld's do.

-Chris