[LLVMdev] Official git mirroring of llvm, clang, lldb, test-suite, etc.?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Mon Jan 31 13:37:49 PST 2011

Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> writes:

> Are you saying that git-svn is slow at pulling changes? It is quite okay
> in my experience, unless you pull once every other month. But I can't
> relate that to your original assertion quoted above.

I can't use git-svn to pull because we use svn on our end.  One can't do
this:

(Upstream) svn <--> git-svn <--> git <--> git-svn <--> svn (Downstream)

because the revisions in the two svn repositories don't have anything to
do with each other.

> What I recall from previous discussions is that you are interested on
> having local feature branches shared among your coworkers. That's doable
> with git-svn with some constraints.

Actually, I am mostly interesed in git because it makes merging in
upstream code dead simple.  Right now I've implemented a couple of
downright scary scripts to hack a ditributed SCM module on top of
Subversion.  It's really about as far away from "fun" as one can get.

It would be even better if LLVM had a git mirror that could push changes
to svn as well but let's do things one step at a time.  :)

                          -Dave