[LLVMdev] Fwd: Removing GCC Runtime Dependencies on Linux

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Mon Dec 19 16:56:52 PST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Shea Levy wrote:

> On 12/19/11 7:19 PM, Howard Hinnant wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Shea Levy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible, if using libc++ and compiler-rt, to have a clang with no
>>> runtime dependencies on any GCC components on Linux? If not, will this
>>> ever be possible?
>> We are working on a new libc++abi:  http://libcxxabi.llvm.org/ which carries the llvm license.
>>
>> Howard
>>

> Great! There's no Makefile or anything there, do I just link everything into one library or how do I use it to play around?

We're still working up to a Makefile.  This libc++abi is still very much in the primitive stages.  It is not ready for prime time on /any/ platform right now.  It is simply a light at the end of the tunnel (we hope it isn't a train :-)).  More seriously, this library is under active development by myself and others.  We believe a complete GPL-free stack is a quite reasonable future goal.  But we are not there today.

Howard