[LLVMdev] Benchmarking for automatic parallelization project

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Thu Dec 8 06:51:11 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:08 AM, 陳韋任 <chenwj at iis.sinica.edu.tw> wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
>> For auto-vectorization, look at:
>> http://polaris.cs.uiuc.edu/~garzaran/doc/pact11.pdf
>> http://polaris.cs.uiuc.edu/~maleki1/TSVC.tar.gz
>>
>> If you're looking for auto-parallelization, I can ask around.
>
>  Thanks for the sharing. If that doesn't bother you too much, I would like to
> know auto-parallelization benchmarks. :p
>
>  Just curious. I was thinking that auto-parallelization in compiler optimization
> is not mature/practical, that's why I thought there is no auto-parallelization
> benchmark. Do you know any project on this?
Don't take this the wrong way, but ...
Auto-parallelization techniques in compilers  have been mature since
the late 70's.

There are plenty of benchmarks and test suites

The typical ones are:

Parallel Loops (by Cray/Oak Ridge)
The Perfect Benchmarks
Livermore loops
LINPACK
NAS Parallel Benchmarks
etc

You just have to realize that compiler parallelization happened in
Fortran *many many* years before it became common for C/C++/etc