[LLVMdev] "icmp sgt" when it should be "ugt" ?

Jonas Gefele llvm.org at schrieb.de
Wed Aug 3 00:29:05 PDT 2011

Hi all,

thanks for your quick and helpful replies. Pointing me/us to the
"inbounds" has solved my confusion, as I originally had the exactly the
same concerns as Duncan.

Eli: I just rescanned the documentation of "getelementptr" and it really
doesn't say anything about (un)signedness of the indeces. The only
reference I've found is in "What happens if a GEP computation overflows?"
of the FAQ. So, maybe a short note in the reference could be useful.

Duncan: in the documentation of "ptrtoint" there is an implicit hint that
pointers are unsigned: "If value is smaller than ty2 then a zero extension
is done". Additionally, the above mentioned entry in the FAQ sheds a
little more light on it.

Cheers,
Jonas