[LLVMdev] Adding scheduling constraints to intrinsics

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Wed Apr 6 10:27:42 PDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 3:31 AM, Rotem, Nadav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on fixing a bug in the x86 codegen and I need help in adding a new type of scheduling constraints.
>
> The bug I am fixing is related to SSE instruction scheduling.  SSE instructions use the “mxcsr” register for selecting the desired rounding mode.  This control register is set/read by an intrinsic.  Currently, this intrinsic has no scheduling deps and SSE instructions are scheduled freely before and after calls to this register.  When working on this I noticed a case where an SSE instruction (after the intrinsic) was merged with a load instruction (before the intrinsic)  during the isel phase. The merged SSE instruction was placed before the call to the intrinsic, producing an incorrect code.
>
> In order to establish scheduling constraints, I declared a new phys register and wrapped the control intrinsic and SSE instructions with “Uses/Defs” definitions.  My modifications did not add ‘blue edges’ to the scheduling graph. I also tried to change the intrinsic into a memory barrier, but it did not solve this case for obvious reasons.
>
> My question is, how do I add these new scheduling constraints ?
>
> Thanks,
> Nadav

Hi Nadav,

I haven't looked at SSE code, but it sounds like SD nodes for SSE instructions should have a chain operand to their control register write. The scheduler should have no problem with that.

The problem of isel merging load+SSE is independent of the scheduler of course. That match rule need to somehow respect or preserve the chain operand from SSE to control register.

-Andy