[LLVMdev] Object File Library. llvm-nm changed to match binutils-nm for COFF and ELF (32, little endian).

Rafael Espindola espindola at google.com
Fri Sep 10 12:49:36 PDT 2010

> I currently envision this library being used in the following ways:
>
> * An ld and link.exe compatible linker.
> * A loader.
> * Add support to lli for loading dynamic libraries referenced from .bc
> files when JITing.
> * Executable compression, encryption.
> * llvm-ar
> * llvm-nm
> * llvm-ranlib
> * llbm-objdump
> * etc...
>
> I decided to make a new library instead of adding this to MC because I
> felt that MC is not really designed for generic object file handling.
> It is and should be designed for working with machine code.

I don't have time to review this now, but I do think it is a very nice
idea. Having llvm implementations of the basic tools in a toolchain
would avoid the confusion that there is around the llvm-* tools being
replacements for the system ones :-)

I also agree that a library other than MC is a good thing. You
probably don't want llvm-nm linking with MC since it handles only
symbols, not machine code.

> - Michael Spencer

Cheers,
--