[LLVMdev] MCStreamer interface

Peter S. Housel housel at acm.org
Thu May 6 23:12:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 13:22 -0700, Nathan Jeffords wrote:

>         The important point here is that the COFF MCSection needs to
>         have the right level of semantic information.  In fact,
>         MCSection is the place that I'd start for COFF bringup.
>
> OK, I see that now. The current isolation
> between TargetLoweringObjectFile -> MCStreamer -> MCObjectWriter has
> proven somewhat problematic, mostly due to my lack of understanding.
> I guess MCSectionXXX was meant to provide communication between them.
> Should the same be true of MCSymbol, and their data counterparts?

I'm enclosing my patch for reforming MCSectionCOFF to match the
implementation strategy of the other two MCSection classes. You may find
it useful as a starting point. It seems to be complete and correct, and
worked for what I tried with it, but I didn't find time to test it fully
(e.g., by bootstrapping clang under Cygwin).

Cheers,
-Peter-